Sunday 15 September 2024

 

A Single Lifestyle

After living in a couple situation for over forty years being single again challenged me to the core. Once he was in the hospice, there was a void where our couple life used to be.

Then after the death, you are alone and lost. All of the routines and daily outings are gone. Driving off alone and having to complete the chores is hard. Before you always had someone to talk to and share the day and now there is a void. It takes time to adjust. Perhaps we don’t really adjust, we simply accept it.

Losing your partner creates an empty hole that is not always possible to fill. No one replaces your partner, not your mum or dad, or your kids. You may fill up the hole with seemingly meaningless activities and by being with other people, but the loss of your loved ones is never really filled. Often, I floated through the weeks trying to make sense of it all.

You may avoid walking in your favourite park because it brings up too much emotion or change the channel when a program you both enjoyed comes on. In time, when you are stronger you can revisit these places.

To be independent means you are self-reliant. At the beginning, I was anything but that. I struggled in the morning, afternoon, and evening. Some days seemed everlasting.

However, as I built up my independent life, it became more bearable. The single activities become the new normal and even being with our old friends became easier.

To move on you need to rebuild your life and every time you function as a single person, you reinvent yourself. When you pay the bills or fix the remote control, you assert your independence. These seemingly small achievements allow you to gather your strength and move ahead.

I pined and it was crippling. However, life does go on and every time I did a single activity, I healed a little. Many of us are alone and suffering loss. Instead of looking back, create a new you and try to fill your days with happiness.

Walking through the world after loss feels very strange. All around is the same, but for you everything has changed dramatically. Shopping without your partner and eating alone takes time to get used to.

It is a new life that you do not want. I did not like being single. It was alien and uncomfortable. Some days I could not face driving to the shops and walking around alone. I choose to stay home instead. You know what I mean.

The new lifestyle has a misery attached to it. When you are young and single there is a happiness in your freedom. However, being widowed is nothing like this. Of course, you are free, but it is awful because you do not want to be free. I wanted to be in a loving partnership and the single thing was not appealing.

At the beginning, trying to adapt is hard. As the weeks and months pass being single becomes more the norm. I disliked it, but what could I do. It was my new lifestyle. I stared ahead and saw more of the same life.

Although you may be open to a new relationship, the grieving needs time. During this time your emotions and life are a mess. The person you lost is in your mind constantly and you know there is more alone time until you heal.

I disliked my new life. I did my gratitude list and tried to be positive and happy. However, my heart was hurting and I missed my husband dreadfully. Be kind to yourself. You will not be as happy as before until the cloud of grief shifts which can take months and years. In reality, some people never leave the grief room.

I missed having a companion, I missed being loved and held. I knew until I healed this was my life. Facing that truth takes courage and it is sad. Usually, after a few weeks and definitely several months reality of the constant new lifestyle hits home. I also got tired of being good about it. It had a monotony to me like the same day over and over again. Being single is something you acclimatize to, but it does not sit well.

Eventually, it improves, and you know this is a gateway you cannot avoid. In the future life changes and new people may come into your life. Nothing lasts forever, so hang in there.

Although we always retain our single self, even in a close relationship, being only single is hard. You have lost an entire part of your daily life. Everything is done alone. You sleep alone, wake up alone, and spend countless hours as a solitary being. No one is there as before.

Some single ventures are already familiar. Shopping, your hobbies, and being with certain friends. However, for the most part you are lost in the sea in your forced singleness. Your singleness is not a choice.

Of course, you have good friends, but the proximity of a constant partner is different. There were days I could not face shopping alone again. I wanted to go to the movies but not by myself. Even with practice you may have these days. I knew that I could do it, but I was too depressed and stayed home.

Living as a single person again takes time and effort.

How well you cope depends on where you are emotionally. Some days you seem to fly through it and then without warning, you are thrust back into the struggle. Listen to your inner voice. Cancel outings when emotions are high. The people you are supposed to be seeing are not feeling like you. Staying home is a self-nurturing act, not being weak. Therefore, you must follow your own heart.

Being single brings opportunities, however it challenges us to the core

No comments:

Post a Comment