Sunday 8 September 2024

Trouble Coping

 

Soon after they pass is not a good time to make any major decisions. Emotions are raw and you are not yourself. The grief propels you into unknown territory. Try to do what has to be done and leave challenging issues for later. Your family and friends see your wobbly antennae, even when you think you are fine. So, listen to those who love you and have your best interests at heart. There were weeks when I thought I was doing well, only to have my sons say otherwise. Consequently, I took notice of their counsel.

Many people give advice, but beware of blindly listening and acting upon it. Sometimes, others have their own agenda or voice opinions through their own filter. Those who use travel or a big night of bingeing to comfort themselves may offer these as solutions. What is a solution for one person is a terrible idea for someone else.

Your moods may go up and down, and when you lack sleep, everything is worse. On those days, lessen your stress by checking out of daily commitments. Retreating allows you to rebalance. On the continuous crying days, do not venture out to the shops, ignore the mobile and do not answer the door.

At the beginning, I wobbled around unexpectedly and felt embarrassed in public places. Eventually, I stabilized, but it seemed to be hit and miss. Read the signs and ask a close family member or friend when another opinion is needed.

Wanting to be fine is not the same as being fine.

You may also be trying to use damage control to get you through the process. Damage control is trying to make the best of a bad situation. It manifests when we distract ourselves, ring a friend, go to bed early, or bury ourselves in a book. In these situations, mitigating the damage helps to work through the pain. It is like time-out from your world and provides a little relief. The same emotions are running underneath, but you go into another world for a while. Temporarily, I found it is a useful strategy. Loss creates massive emotional damage and damage control becomes a form of mindfulness.

Everyone going through grief endeavors to minimize the pain. When you are about to cry on the bus, you try to focus on another less sad thought. You minimize telling your family how terrible your week was, or put on a brave face during a social outing. Sometimes, you manage to soldier through and lessen the tears, but not always. Damage control may work brilliantly, and then fail dismally.

Like me, you may find that happy events trigger you more. Family events bring to the fore the fact that your partner is not there to share this moment with all of you. The empty chair is hard to bear. It is a silent, deep sadness inside of your heart. On happy occasions, you do not want to be the wet blanket sobbing in the corner. In situations when I was beginning to meltdown, I simply excused myself and had a big cry out of sight.

Often, people will use [WE1] distraction to stem your tide of grief because they don’t or can’t deal with it. They change the subject, make jokes, and steer away from the obvious. I was usually aware of this tactic and tried to hold back my feelings. But emotions have a habit of spilling out, regardless.

During my grieving time, I tried to shut down my emotions to make it easier for others. However, it was stressful being in such social situations. I never knew when the tears would well up and take over. Once I began to cry, it was hard to stop it. Staying home on the vulnerable days and not being with the shutdown people was simpler than going and trying to hold back the tide.

With more compassionate and kind people, I felt like I could be myself and these connections were more freeing and safe. When my tears came out, it became a natural part of the visit, and I felt less stressed.

Don’t be surprised when you experience forgetfulness. After loss, you may lose the ability to remember people’s names, use the wrong words, can’t remember the word and generally, sound like an idiot. It happens to nearly all of us. It is as if a part of your mind is lost and cannot find itself again. I called people the wrong names, got lost mid-sentence, and forgot what I was talking about. I had trouble remembering times, and doing what I was supposed to.

The stress of grief confounds your brain. There is a sense of being disconnected to situations and people. The emotional strain overtakes reason. The shock of the death and the tumultuous change in your life, plus the added fatigue and mixed emotions, make it worse.

Others noticed my disconnection and warned me to take care. I was discouraged from driving the car on my bad days and from making any big decisions. Listen when your family and friends bring your behaviour into question. To them, you may look somewhat startled and wired. My sons alerted me during the times I was like this and guided me through when it happened.

Basically, you are not yourself and do not appear present. Listen to others and do not let stubbornness and pride override the situation. The shock of loss manifests in many strange ways and this one is important because you are not functioning in the normal range. Slow down when it happens and recalculate as your GPS says. Although I felt frustrated, not everyone noticed my mistakes. I simply renamed the person, began the sentence again, and asked for the question to be repeated.

Being on overdrive after the death causes this temporary, yet annoying state. The mind is processing so much it is like you cannot focus as before. Do not think it is dementia or that you are losing your mind. It is simply a result of the pressure being placed on you.

When we are going through a difficult period, our body talks. Some mornings we may wake up feeling sick. It is not usual illness like a cold or virus, just feeling unwell. This sensation is strong and may last for days. It is usual to get ill especially in the first eighteen months after we lose our partner.

Loss rattles us to the core and it is not surprising becoming sick happens during the process. Many people catch the flu, have more infections and generally suffer more health problems. The body is stressed during the grief process and we are more vulnerable.

Visit the doctor if you need to and use medicine or herbs to get well. Stress does strange things to the body and mind and losing your loved one is probably one of the biggest stresses that we endure.

Taking a good vitamin pill, eating well and getting lots of sleep are wise choices. Grief is a complex experience and all you can do is to soothe and nurture yourself.

As you move through the months, the weird illnesses and maladies lessen and your health improves. Often, I had a feeling that my migraine or upset digestion were rooted in the grief. It is not unusual to have strange stomach pains or skin rashes. A chronic health problem may flare up for a while and then go as we heal.

In general, the way we feel impacts upon our health negatively especially during the first stages of grief. Understand that you are sick from the upheaval in your life emotionally, mentally and psychologically which then manifests as health issues. The sick days lessen as you move through the months.

As you calm down and begin the healing process, it passes and eventually, you have days of clarity and stop calling your son by the dog’s name. Time is all it takes.


 [WE1]

No comments:

Post a Comment