Tuesday 17 September 2024

 

Work and Leisure 

When possible, keep aiming to work. Work stabilizes and takes your mind away from the ongoing loss. However, at the start it may not be an option. Unless you are functioning well consider time away.

I took off a few months during the worse part. Initially, I tried to go back, but the yo-yo effect of grief meant I never knew when I was operational. I gave myself this time to heal. As I improved, I added the type of work activity that I could manage without feeling pressured.

Healing is a slow process and unpredictable. The waves of emotions make life messy and uncertain. When I decided not to work it was frustrating because I loved to work and it gave me an escape from the constant pain. However, the downside was my inability to perform adequately.

Instead, I worked on other areas and rechannelled what energy I had there. I made lists of jobs and activities that were doable.

We function differently through grief situations and you have to be true to yourself. Make the best decision for you.

Focus on healing and see whether work helps or hinders it.

Leisure time is a dangerous place where your demons may surface. Perhaps, you spent leisure time with your lost love and now you are alone. Therefore, doing the same activity brings much sadness. I tried to do daily walks through my local park, but the memories and number of tears I shed while walking was not worth it. In time, I knew I would resume walking but not in the early stages.

However, some leisure pursuits work well and have no effect on you emotionally. Pursue these. Adding new ones is beneficial and allows expansion in your new world. When it is a group activity, you meet new people and arrive as a single person, instead of half of a couple.

Joining singles groups is an option. However, initially your broken heart may be unable to face fronting up alone. You may not be ready to tell others you are widowed. You are unsure how you will handle it.

Wait until you are ready. Let your emotions settle. Then venture out.

No comments:

Post a Comment